List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail addressbook broken
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       2000-05-14 9:13:41

Don Sanders wrote:

> Mirko has checked in some changes to cvs that have broken the address book
> functionality completely and are causing numerous errors at start up :-(
>
> I think I'm going to revert his commits.
You could also try to find out what causes the problems, couldn´t you?

The messages come from the case that you most probably did not install
kab from the kdeutils. They did not pop up for me, of course. So Waldos
changes (he moved this template files from kdeutils to kdelibs) solved
it. You should no more need to install kab.

> Mirko please don't check in stuff that breaks existing functionality.
Please reconsider this sentence.

I checked in changes that worked for me (of course, or I would not have
done it). Please do not consider me to be a rookie.
If something new does not work for you, the better way than simply
removing it is to compare your installation and mine and find the
reasons.
> Perhaps it's better if you just leave the address book stuff to me.
Two things:
1.
In Erlangen, we agreed to use the KDE address book in kmail. I expected
the kmail developers to do it. You did not, so I did. Please work on
finishing and do not brake me.
2.
As long as there are three alternatives (kmail addressbook, KDE
addressbook, something else that has to be invented by now), I am sure
we should not stick to either 1 or 3!

> This is what broke.
>
> I receive numerous error dialogs at start up (see attached lists).

Solved by Waldo in five minutes.

> Auto-completion of email address is broken.

This is as I need some feedback what to provide to you. Merely: where do
I have to put the set of all email addresses in the database? Then it
should work again.

> Cannot access existing address book GUI (support the existing GUI must be
> retained until it ready to be removed, this is the way things were done for
> the configuration dialog and the way things are being done for the new pop
> account).

After the two bugs you found are resolved, there should be no reason to
stick to the old one that was not really useable.

Greetings anyway,
--Mirko.
--
Drei Dinge gibt es, denen alle Menschen gern gemütlich zuschauen:
° fliessendes Wasser,