List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: starting apps from kicker
From:       pbrown () redhat ! com
Date:       2000-05-09 17:06:12

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Seems like a good candidate for "startServiceByDesktopPath( relPath +
> fileList[id])" ....

We really need a canonical example of how to do this in writing
somewhere.  Right now people use any one of the following methods, and
sometimes several in the same program!

1. fork + exec
2. KProcess
3. KRun
4. startServiceByDesktopPath

the pros and cons of all of the above should be discussed, preferably by
those who implemented them.  I think the list is also ordered by
implementation age.  Comments?

This is really important.  I for one don't really understand what KRun and
startServiceByDesktopPath truly offer over KProcess.

--
  Preston Brown
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.