On Thu, 4 May 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote: > David Faure wrote: > > > I am indeed guilty :-) I agree that reading it is slightly harder > > > now.. but it makes for parsing by scripts a *LOT* easier so it's > > > definitely needed. > > > > Well [\t]+ isn't that difficult to write, is it ? > > Just for fun, get the version of 'accounts' *before* the change and > try to parse it into a file with accounts, names, and emails all > separate. Just try it :-) > > What you'll see is what I did... the fact that the real names had > variable number of spaces and words and *tabs* made the parsing a huge > PITA. It is possible, of course... I used a perl script to convert it > to the new version.. but *boy* is it a pain. What's wrong with: "/^\s*(\S+)\s+(.*)\s+(\S+)\s*$/;" as perl regex. In $1 is account, $2 the name (with space and everything) and in $3 the email. Regexp's rule ;) > Now, all you need to do is delimit by tab and you have all three > fields. But it is so ugly ;) Ciao, Michael.