List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 Beta Release Schedule
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2000-05-02 19:39:38

On Tue, 02 May 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> This is the tentative schedule for the beta releases leading up to KDE
> 2.0.  The schedule for our first beta, KDE 1.90, is *not* tentative :-)

May I share some thoughts about the release schedule?

> Each beta will be released roughly 4 weeks apart.  This will give us
> time to fix all of the bugs reported AND ensure that the final release
> is as complete and STABLE as possible.
>
> Release co-ordinator duties are shared by Kurt Granroth <granroth@kde.org>
> and Preston Brown <pbrown@kde.org>

A general proposal: We should name the beta releases "KDE 2 beta1", "KDE 2
beta2" etc. and keep the 1.9x version numbers internal. People are more likely
going to download and test a release labeled KDE 2 beta X than a 1.9x one.
And we all know this famous statement: Given a large enough number of
beta-testers every bug is obvious to someone.

> KDE 1.90 "Konfucious"

#define KDE_VERSION_MAJOR 1
#define KDE_VERSION_MINOR 9
#define KDE_VERSION_RELEASE 1

Does this mean 1.9.1 or 1.91?
Do I get this wrong or am I right that we already are at 1.91? Then it's a bad
idea to roll-back the version number to 1.90.

> ---------------------
> Hard Freeze : May 09, 2000 (Tuesday)
> Release Date: May 10, 2000 (Wednesday)
> "Thaw" Date : May 11, 2000 (Thursday)
> Packages: kde-qt-addon, kdelibs, kdebase

I'm a bit worried that koffice may fall behind in developement if it's not
included in the first beta. Promisses to release koffice together with KDE 2.0
have been made several times. What exactly speaks against including koffice in
the beta1 release? kword, kpresenter, kspread are all ready for a beta release
IMHO. Given the complexity of koffice I find it very dangerous to start the
koffice beta phase with KDE 2.0 beta3 which means there will be no more than
two koffice beta releases!

> All code will be FROZEN for 1.90 on Tuesday.  This means, that NO non-
> essential changes may be made to CVS.  The only changes that are
> permitted are ones that keep the code from compiling or the apps from
> running at all.  If it's just a bug fix, then it's NOT essential!
>
> Source and binary packages shall be made on Tuesday.
>
> Binary packages shall be made to install in non-standard locations.
> It shall be recommended that the $KDEHOME directory be set to
> '$HOME/.kde2' so that changes do not affect the KDE 1.x installation.
>
> On Thursday, the CVS shall be unfrozen to BINARY COMPATIBLE changes.
> However, every WEDNESDAY henceforth (until the next release), we will
> allow APPROVED binary incompatible changes.  Binary incompatible
> changes will ONLY be allowed on Wednesdays.  Also, the changes MUST be
> discussed on kde-core-devel and the change MUST be proposed by the
> past Monday at the latest to give 24 hours for discussion.

Sounds very good.

> KDE 1.91 "Kleopatra"
> --------------------
> Hard Freeze : June 06, 2000 (Tuesday)
> Release Date: June 07, 2000 (Wednesday)
> Thaw Date   : June 08, 2000 (Thursday)
> Packages: kde-qt-addon, kdelibs, kdebase
>
> The procedure for Kleopatra is similar to that of Konfucious

In relation to my comment about including koffice in beta1 I recommend to
include _all_ KDE packages in beta2. Similar to what I said about koffice I find
it very dangerous to start the beta phase of kdemultimedia/kdeutils/etc as late
as KDE beta3. I know most of the non-base packages currently are in a bad shape
but it is important to include them in the beta releases as early as possible.
We will end up with a stable base system but buggy applications otherwise.  As
you say each package needs to be evaluated and cleaned up but I believe this
can be done within the four weeks between beta1 and beta2.
Matthias Hoelzer Kluepfel had the idea that every core developer should sort
of "adopt" one package (kdemultimedia for example) and take over responsibility
to make it ready for beta phase.

Greetings,
Matthias

--