List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: call for volunteer on bug tracking
From:       joerg habenicht <j.habenicht () stud ! uni-hannover ! de>
Date:       2000-05-02 10:58:25

Harri Porten wrote:

> Michael Matz wrote:
> >
> I understood it this way as well and wanted to stress the fact that even
> processing the reports can be non-trivial in some cases.
> Some reports are
>
> a) not related to KDE at all
> b) related to 3rd party code in KDE, e.g. kdesupport or kscd
> c) based on a misunderstanding on the reporter's side
> d) maybe valid but difficult to assign (e.g. sudden crashes. A memory
> leak _somewhere_ in KDE ? A buggy X driver ?)
> e) wrongly assigned (example: kdelibs maintained by Kalle ;)
> f) targeted at a developer who is not very active anymore
>
> a) and c) can easily be handled via "close". This leaves the reporter
> without an explanation, though.
>
> To help with f) we might consider sending a copy of all/some reports to
> kde*-devel ;) A volunteer might be willing to pick it up.
>
> > Well, some people nevetheless will send bug reports from memory, or if
> > they are on work... without assistance from some bug report dialog, so
>   the
> > problem of bugs in too general categories will stay.

More than closing or guessing the destination of the bug,
we could use the followup feature of the bugtracker.
In unclear cases the bugreport gets mailed back to the originator with
further questions to refine the report.
This way the user get more feedback from "KDE" and its developers and
unclear defined bugs don't need to be solved until further refinement.
If the originator of the report sends back a better explanation the mail
gets as followup into the bugtracker.
This has some disadvantage of spending more time in analysing and writing
questions, but it is spend on a better solving of bugs, and the users have
the possibility to rethink their bugreport.

(my 50 Eurocents)
cu,
Joerg

--