List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: App start is too slow (looooong)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-01 4:08:54

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > But it should be shared data until it gets written, and writing should
> > > only occur on relocation, so I would hope (from the above non-changing
> > > in nr. of relocs), that its only one time 800k.
> >
> > I have no idea who/what is writing to these pages, but when I looked at
> > this stuff last year every process that linked against Qt had to pay the
> > price. Maybe there is some "exception initialisation code" that does
> > stuff there?
>
> For me it's even more:
> without exception in QT:
> Name:	kroamimg
> VmSize:	    7548 kB
> VmLck:	       0 kB
> VmRSS:	    2660 kB
> VmData:	     128 kB
> VmStk:	      12 kB
> VmExe:	      12 kB
> VmLib:	    7060 kB
>
> while with exception in QT:
> Name:	kroamimg
> VmSize:	    9104 kB
> VmLck:	       0 kB
> VmRSS:	    3664 kB
> VmData:	     124 kB
> VmStk:	      12 kB
> VmExe:	      12 kB
> VmLib:	    8056 kB
>
> So Size 1.5 MB, RSS 1 MB, but note Data: -4 Kb (well, one page, could be
> border case). It only links against kdecore and qt (and dependend libs).
> Hmm, I'm never sure, if RSS is including shared mem or excluding. (If
> including, every KDE-app would at least take 5MB, if excluding the
> exceptions shouldn't make that much difference in memory use. Nevertheless
> it's of course better to kill that use).

From what I understand: VmSize is the "virtual memory size". E.g. all memory
vsible to the process, so this includes shared libs. VmRSS is the "resident
set size", that part of VmSize which is actually mapped to some real memory
pages (RAM).

And I guess VmLib is the total size of all libraries visible to the process.
(But not neccaserily mapped to real memory, that is, the pages might still
need to be loaded from disk)

Cheers,
Waldo