List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Mac-menu is _not_ faster
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-28 21:30:10

Michael Matz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, mosfet wrote:
> > > one assumes, that the main app window is not moved around every second,
> > > and so the menu position is even absolut constant over a large time.
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^
> > Your missing the point. The *absolute* position of the menu in normal
> > mode is different, and that is what matters. If the absolute position is
> > different from window to window then it requires you to target the
> > mouse.
>
> No I wasn't missing that point, I only assume that it make no big
> difference as the absolut position is even in normal mode constant for the
> most time. OK, not constant for each window, but for any given menubar (of
> which I have many and you only one).
>
> > > one window (see my first mail). So that is also no argument for mac mode
> > > (it also not one against mac mode either).
> > Works fine on the Mac, works fine in KDE. I used it in KDE1 for months,
> > and on Apple's for years ;-)
>
> Aha. So you are proving by example? Interesting principle ;)
>
> > > that both compensate each other, so that this is also no argument
> > > specifically for mac menus.
> > I think your wrong. Actually I know you are, at least for me and most
> > labs to test it ;-)
> >
> > > is greater than both of them". Thats a law, and that's science. While UI
> > > designing is, erhh, well... guessing? riddling? something like that.
> > It is a law, it is valid, and I'm glad we support it ;-)
> >
> > > specific to KDE. But that is not my point. My point is only the claim that
> > > mac menus are somehow better than the other style.
> > Sure they are! I keep on telling you why ;-)
>
> Hmm. Amen? You obviously are a true believer in apple and its might ;)
> It's nothing wrong with that, only that one can't argue with true
> believers over their belief. What shall I say to those hard arguments
> above? Exactly. Nothing. So I shut up, and simply hope, that mac style
> gets not the default for the wrong reasons. In fact I shouldn't have
> stepped in into this discussion with the hope I could break some blind
> believe in laws and religion with such a boring thing like figures ;-) :-(

The thing is your not providing hard arguments. Your talking about
distance only but absolutely ignoring the fact that if things are in
different absolute positions it takes time to *target* the mouse. You
obviously are a "true believer" of the other way, and doesn't let things
like usability studies get in your way ;-)

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org