List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Mac-menu is _not_ faster
From:       claus wilke <wilke () caltech ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-28 17:43:05

Hi,

I fully agree with the subject. Mac-menu is *not* faster if you use your GUI
the way I do (I don't know how many do this though). I mainly use shells,
emacs, a browser, and a mail program. For all these programs, I don't need a
menu bar. But generally, I have like 40 of these windows open, and normally
also in different desktops. The fastest way to switch between windows is
autoraise (eliminates one click), which does not work with the mac menubar. If
a window is not visible, or even on another desktop, I go to the top, where I
have my taskbar (and I can do that *very* fast due to Fitts law, I absolutely
agree that this law is true), and there I click on the icon. Ready. This also
doesn't work with the mac menubar. For me, a mac menubar would slow me down a
*lot*.

By the way, the only reason I am not using KDE2 on a regular basis yet is
because these two things that I got to love from KDE1 (autoraise and a taskbar
on top that disappears when I move the mouse away) have not been ported yet (at
least not the last time I tried).

Best,
  Claus

 --
Claus Wilke

Mail Code 136-93, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125
Tel.: 626 395 2338, Fax:  626 395 2944
wilke@caltech.edu, wilke@gmx.net, wilke@alife.org