List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kicker applet move code
From:       "Wilco Greven" <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-28 13:42:37

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 02:53:07PM +0200, Matthias Elter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 02:43:04PM +0200, Wilco Greven wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Let me say a couple of things about this. I have asked on this list two \
> > times  about the original behaviour. Nobody answered to my messages. I \
> > sent a Cc of  the second message to you Matthias, you haven't answered \
> > too. Now you talk like you're surprised I implemented the new \
> > algorithm.
>
> I was very busy with non-KDE stuff at that time and probably missed your \
> mail. When I'm busy I sometimes hit the delete key to fast when browsing \
> new mail and do not read mailling lists very carefully.
> > I let two of my roommates compare try both the old behaviour and the \
> > new behaviour simultaneously. It was the first time for them to use \
> > kicker and the new behaviour felt better according to them. I didn't \
> > tell them which behaviour I implemented so they were objective. If they \
> > had chosen the old behaviour I wouldn't have commited my new code.
>
> As I said in the reply to my original mail I like your code but was \
> disapointed as it was totally broken for tiny panels. Don't get me wrong, \
> I don't complain about small bugs, new code always has some but please \
> check if your code works before you replace working code. It definitely \
> did not for tiny panels.

You are right about the tiny panels. I have to admit I didn't test it for \
them. Sorry for that. I think it's broken for tiny panels because the \
applets are  very small then ( < 2x the switchMargin ). I saw you disabled \
the  switchMargins. That's a solution, but perhaps a better solution would \
be to  make the switchMargin depend on the appletsizes. The idea behind the \
 switchMargin was to create a buffer so that when two applets switch \
position  you have some room to move the cursor before the applets switch \
back again. But maybe the switchMargin isn't needed at all. I'll do some \
tests.

Now something else. Maybe it is better to determine the position of an \
applet by the amount of empty (panel)space left of the applet. I think you \
could solve some problems by this approach. For example the speeding bug \
(moving an applet really fast). And this gives an opportunity to make the \
applet position resolution independent (by scaling the empty space). Just \
some thoughts.

Nice work on the configuration menu, BTW :-)

Greetings,
Wilco