List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kicker applet move code
From:       "Wilco Greven" <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-28 12:43:04

Hi,

Let me say a couple of things about this. I have asked on this list two times
about the original behaviour. Nobody answered to my messages. I sent a Cc of
the second message to you Matthias, you haven't answered too. Now you talk
like you're surprised I implemented the new algorithm.

I let two of my roommates compare try both the old behaviour and the new
behaviour simultaneously. It was the first time for them to use kicker and the
new behaviour felt better according to them. I didn't tell them which behaviour
I implemented so they were objective. If they had chosen the old behaviour I
wouldn't have commited my new code.

The new code is working, but contains some bugs. I know about the most of
them, but didn't have the time to fix them yet. The bugs didn't made the panel
unusable at all. There are more bugs, like the one when moving an applet very
fast over some other applet, which were in the original code too.

What I mean by jumpy: Suppose you have a large row of buttons (maybe 5 or more).
Now move a button through that row. A new user will get confused because it
moves so fast. Furthermore it's bad UI-design to control the mousecursor with
the program.

Wilco

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 12:13:10PM +0200, Matthias Elter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 11:43:39AM +0200, Matthias Elter wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Somebody (wgreven) changed the kicker applet move algorithm.
> > I don't like the new behaviour at all as it does not really work with large \
> > applets like the taskbar and you can easily mess up your layout. I don't agree \
> > with the argument that the old move code is to "jumpy". The GNOME panel does it \
> > the same way and people seem to love it.

I just tried out the GNOME panel. It's behaviour is not like how you
implemented moving kicker buttons/applets. It doesn't take control of my
mousecursor, which was my original complaint about kicker (go read it).

> > I'm going to revert this if nobody objects.
>
> Ok I was a bit harsh.

You certainly was. Think before you write something.