List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-27 22:35:58

#if mosfet
> As far as the popup menu statement see the above. As far as following
> X11 standards for UI principles by far the "standard" for user
> interfaces for Linux is TWM and Xaw. That's the only standard out
> there ;-) So lets a) make a Athena widget style engine and make that
> the default, and b) make a twm window manager style and mac that the
> default ;-)                                             ^^^
                                                          Freudian slip ? ;)

> I'm for making the best UI, not one like previous X toolkits.

Me too (tm)

Let's look at the situation, shall we...

* KDE is the default desktop for nearly all Linux distributions.
* The apps that aren't based on the KDE libraries that are in widespread
  use (used by the most people) include Netscape Navigator and The Gimp.
  Konqueror makes NN obsolete. The Gimp doesn't put the menubar at the
  top of a window.

What else do we have to be compliant with ?

As mosfet rightly says, there is no real 'standard' for X. I would add
to this that if there /is/ a standard, KDE is it ! We are in the
position where we get to set standards if we want to. Last time I looked
at Gnome I was shocked by how similar it was to KDE. This can not have
been an accident.

Ok, personally I'd prefer it if we would have the main app menu hanging
off the middle-mouse-button as a popup, but mac menu mode is better than
menus-in-windows, so I'm still voting for it.

Rik - who just shaved his head and is feeling a little radical.