List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: App start is too slow (looooong)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-27 7:38:56

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 09:45:18AM +0200, Geert Jansen wrote:
> > On Mit, 26 Apr 2000, Geert Jansen wrote:
> >
> > > Are you sure you interpreted your data correctly? I get quite different
> > > figures for the iconloader.
> >
> > Don't use the the value directly, but interpret it relatively. stracing
> > makes the program execution between twice and three times slower, so it
> > doesn't take 0.5s during the normal program execution, but it is somehow
> > faster.
> >
> > > Constructing the iconloader: dt = 50 ms
> > >
> > > Konsole seems to load 11 icons on startup, so the total overhead due to
> > > icon loading should be something like 100 ms.
> >
> > you see the problem?
>
> No..
>
> > constructing the icon loader takes up as many time as
>
> 50 ms, that's a blink of an eye... Let's first kill the 2s relocation
> time as measured by Michael Matz. Then worry about the one time 50 ms
> lost when constructing the iconloader.

Well, the 2s relocation time is already killed... by kdeinit.
Use the current KDE, look with ps : konsoles are all "kdeinit: konsole"
if you launch them from a kicker panel-button.
Hmm, reminds me that we still need to fix KRun to do that automatically.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org