List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-26 19:53:17

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 12:31:30PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > Before a yes or a no on this, I think we should all try it ;-)
>
> One thing I should note.. there are a few bugs in the 2.0 version
> right now so don't judge it based on those.  The major ones are:
>
> 1) Keyboard accels (CTRL+C, CTRL+Q, etc) don't work if you use the mac
>    menubar.  They *did* work on KDE 1.x so I'm not sure what's going on
>    now...
> 2) The desktop icons don't honor the menubar nor do maximizing
>    windows.  This is a kwin fault, of course.
> 3) The desktop never gets the focus back after any app is selected so
>    once an app appears, you can't access the desktop menu anymore
> 4) KWrite won't put it's menu in mac style no matter what..  it is the
>    *only* app I've seen that does this.

5) Activating the option and deactivating it is very buggy.
(i.e. for all apps running before the option was selected).
At the moment I have a menubar in konqy + a konsole menubar on top of
the screen (that's after trying to deactivate the option) ;-)

6) Easy one: check the option, click OK, reopen the page, the checkbox
appears unchecked :)

> > So... I looked in kcontrol and much to my surprise, that setting is
> > hidden under "Look & Feel/Themes/Style" !! I know this is a
> > historical reason (style used to be much more general) but I think
> > we should move it now ;-) It has nothing to do with themes nor
> > styles IMHO, but only with... menubars :) Since we have options for
> > toolbars, in fact, both of those could go into a "*bar" dialog.
> > TODO: find a better name ;-)
>
> Sure :-)

That's not a good name :)

http://home.clara.net/faure/