List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: App start is too slow (looooong)
From:       "Dirk A . Mueller" <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-26 15:35:26

On Mit, 26 Apr 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Well, you're certainly right, but I can't see how we can help here.

currently the handled image types are hard-coded anyway, so adding another
image loader effectively means modifying and recompiling kimgio.

So you can still register "dummy" functions that re-register the
"real" functions when the first access to them occurs. There is absolutely
no need to load everything at startup, only when an image of that type needs
to be loaded/saved, the module has to be loaded.

saves some memory and lots of startup time.

> >   0.55s   loading several kde-config files. most of them more than once.
> >           also lots of redundant access() and dozens of stat() on
> >           unnecessary files. looks like this can be optimized muuuuch.
> You're aware that you're above 3 seconds already, do you? :)

strace seems to slow things down. and anyway, konsole needs at least 2s to
start.

it looks to me like kinstance and kapp both load the global and application
specific config files. at least two times during startup /etc/kderc etc. is
accessed and loaded.

> Sure. The icon loading (which is surely not konsole's problem :) has
> been more complex instead of faster - like many things.
> But for most of them there are ways to do it better, no need to worry
> but to hack.

It might be a good idea to measure and discuss certain alternatives before
something gets implemented. Current Iconloader doesn't seem to be that fast.

Dirk