List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KSycoca update
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-25 0:04:10

Hiya,

FYI. The format of the KSycoca database has changed. Now, last time I
promised that next time this would be a seamless operation. However, it
appeared that the ksycoca code had a bug which prevented it to be forward
compatible. So this time is next time and since this bug is there it means
that if you are running an old (e.g. yesterdays) KDE desktop you will notice
that a lot of applications suddenly disappear at the moment you (or kded)
build your new KSycoca database. The good part about it is that when you
restart these applications they don't have this bug any more, so you can then
upgrade your database without problem although by that time that isn't
necassery anymore because you have just done that.

Your reward for all this trouble is that the openwith dialog is now much
faster. (I'm sure you all have been waiting for that)

Cheers,
Waldo