List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kwin
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-24 21:05:50

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Lotzi Boloni wrote:
> > > Well, I bet you don't have konsole compiled as a library module.
> >
> >   How much you would bet? I bet one million bucks, he has it.
> >
> > > Do you have a "konsole.la" file in $KDEDIR/lib?
> >
> >   Konsole IS a kpart, so it is loaded as a part even when running
> > standalone.
>
> But a kpart is not the same as a module loadable by kdeinit. What does 'ps
> -aux' say? Does it say "konsole" or does it say "kdeinit: konsole". In the
> first case it is started as a normal executable. In the second case it is
> started as a kdeinit module.

To follow up on myself:

You have the following things:

libkonsole.la: A KPart which is loadable as module. (By e.g. konqueror)

konsole: An application in the form of a executable, based upon the
libkonsole.la KPart.

konsole.la: An application in the form of a kdeinit loadable module, based
upon the libkonsole.la KPart.

konsole and konsole.la are functional the same only the "executable format"
differs. E.g. just like you can have the same program in both an a.out and
ELF format. Every C++ program can be compiled as a "kdeinit loadable module".
Let's refer to it as the KLM format.

When kdeinit/klauncher launches an application, it looks for the KLM format
first. If it can't find it, it tries the ELF format. If it can't find that
one neither, it fails.

So to take advantage of kdeinit/klauncher, you need two things:
1) The program starting the application must use klauncher/kdeinit.
2) The application must be available in KLM format.

Cheers,
Waldo