List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libtool, -rpath into libs
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-04-12 12:22:49

Hi,

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > Well, what would we _could_ change now is to put these KDE_RPATHs into
> > > kdecore, so every module would get them for free and we could remove
> > > some paths from KDE_RPATHS.  But this isn't really worth the effort.
> >
> > Hmm, at least nobody would take the wrong libqt. I remember some reports
> > of failed running which would have been avoided if they used hardcoded
> > libpaths.
> How would it help?

If they link with -L/this/dir/to-qt, but have /that/dir/to-wrong-qt in
ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and both dirs have libqt.so.2.1.0 but in
incompatible versions (say one compiled for libc5, the other for
libc6) the running would fail.

Don't laugh. These scenarios don't happen on home PC's too often, but in
large installations with many OS's and shared directories, there may be
a reason LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to one dir. Now if the user wants another
dir it gets complicated, esp. if the apps are installed by an admin, and
one has apps which require mutually exclusive LD_LIBRARY_PATHs. There
hardcoded paths are really useful.

(you see, I'm a great fan of hardcoded libpaths ;)

> > I'll see if I can get a working KDE without any ld.so.conf or
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> I didn't touch either and it works fine for me.

Nice.

Ciao,
Michael.