List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    wellknown socket in $HOME (not)
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-04-11 20:51:06

Hi,

as has popped up in the past several times, if $HOME is on a file system
that does not support AF_UNIX socket-inodes, kdeinit fails. The only
reason I know that this socket should stay in $HOME (or in a subdir
thereof) is, that is should have a well known name, and it should avoid
DNS attacks (which would be possible if a well known file name is created
in e.g. /tmp).

There are two solutions IMHO:
1) make a subdir for wellknown sockets in
$HOME/.kde and use that to store these items, and document that this
subdir should point to a dir capable of holding special inodes (e.g. in
/tmp)
2) make a symlink from $HOME/well-known-name to a temporary name in /tmp

As we right now only have one of these beasts I have implemented (2), as a
subdir for one socket seems like overkill. I have tested it with a normal
$HOME and an AFS $HOME (where sockets are not allowed). Both work.

Objections to commit? (note that the external interface is the same, as
connect()'s to symlinks get resolved to the real socket)

Ciao,
Michael.