List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: GIF write support
From:       holger () holger ! om ! org
Date:       2000-04-11 18:35:48

> Yes, do it like the trolls do: Disable by default, provide a possibility
> to enable it (not too easily) and state explicitly that you need a
> Unisys license to use this.

Why don't we do it like GNU Privacy Guard does it with external algorithms?
They have an interface to load any hash, public-key or encryption algorithm,
in their case via a shared library.

It just happens that the rsa.c and idea.c files are much more used than, say,
tiger.c ...

The benefit here is that someone can very easily add RSA/IDEA (and thus
limited PGP2) support. No "--enable-idea". Therefore, you .

- no longer have patented code in your app
- make it possible for people that get the software already compiled
  (e.g. as i386.rpm) to add support at a later time, without recompiling
  the whole app.