List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Should I convert ascii() -> latin1() ?
From:       Espen Sand <espen.sand () neo ! no>
Date:       2000-04-10 12:40:30

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 03:08:03AM -0400, Dawit A wrote:

>> > Since this saves up overhead I so no reason not to convert them.  Every speed
>> > up we can get, go for it.
>> >
>> > To be safe, have you tested some of these calls to make sure the QT doc is
>> > 100% correct?
>>
>> There is really no need to do this since I checked the QString source and all
>> ascii() does is return latin1() just like the documentation says.
>
>So what's the point in converting ?

Again from the docs:

const char* QString::ascii () const
"This function is obsolete. It is provided to keep old source working, and will
probably  be removed in a future version of Qt. We strongly advise against
using it in new code."

So if one sees an "ascii()" I think one should replace it to reduce the problem
when (if) it has been removed from the QString class.

--
Espen Sand