List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KURL patch [Please test]
From:       Dawit A <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-04-08 8:58:19

On Sat, 08 Apr 2000, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Dawit A wrote:
>
> > 2.) ****IMPORTANT**** KURL now correctly parses the the format "<scheme>:" (
> > example "mailto:" ) as an INVALID URL.  If anyone thinks this should be
> > otherwise please speak up now.  Note however that such a format is illegal
> > according to RFC 2396.  This change should also have little to no effect on
> > applications and has NO binary incomparability issue.
>
> Do I get it right that this breaks the mailto: support?
>
> Quite a lot of web-sites use mailto:foo@bar.org "URLs" . Besides all the
> wonderful RFCs I think we should support this (as all decent browsers :)
>
> (the way it currently works: khtml parses the "URL" into a KURL like for
> all links and passes it via a signal to the hosting object, which in case
> of Konqueror passes it over to KRun which calls kmail)
>
> Just IMHO :)

No, no.  mailto:foo@bar.org is a very valid URL and there will be no change for
that.  What the patch fixes is a URL that only has the protocol part and that
is it.  Example, "mailto:", "ftp:" or "http:".  The spec states that for such
URL's there has to be at least one character after ":" and it cannot be a "/".
So basically the patch ensure that if your URL is just "mailto:", it is labeled
as Malformed while mailto:john@doe.org is correctly parsed.  Thus, no change
for the behavior you mentioned above...

Regards,
Dawit A.