List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: GIF write support
From:       Matthias Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () dalheimer ! de>
Date:       2000-04-06 5:32:05

"Dirk A . Mueller" wrote:

> On Don, 06 Apr 2000, Richard Moore wrote:
>
> > KImageIO. I know all the arguments against it, but I have to say I
> > still think GIF support is important. [ducks and runs...]
>
> That's no question. The problem is purely legal reasons. We are not allowed
> to include GIF support by default as we have no Unisys license.
>
> however default libungif support and optional --with-gif support would be
> ok IMHO.
>
> Dirk

Yes, do it like the trolls do: Disable by default, provide a possibility
to enable it (not too easily) and state explicitly that you need a
Unisys license to use this.

Kalle

--
Kalle Dalheimer     Contract programming for Unix
kalle@dalheimer.de  Technical writing

Lukashenko and the Pope - the last remaining dictators in Europe.