List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: default short date format
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-04-06 1:31:07

Hi,

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Apr 2000, Michael Matz wrote:
> > Note that the order of <Dayname>, <shortform> is not configurable in this
> > case. I don't know if there should be a form "include Day and Month by
> > name and Day and Year by number". I guess not.
>
> I would hope that the end user could configure the shortform via the control
> panel so that the KMail type representation could be selected, rather than
> creating some new kind of form.

Makes sense. And it even is already (kcontrol/locale/localetime) per
QLineEdit.  Saved into "DateFormatShort" config-Key. (Don't know if it
works, my kcontrol/ crashes in the moment)

> My first choice would be to have the default date format the same as
> the one KMail uses. This keeps things simple from the KMail
> perspective. No doubt this will clash with other parts of the desktop
> (the clock shown in the panel?) and hence some kind of compromise is
> necessary.
>
> (This does however make me wonder where exactly is the short form used?)

I think for the sake of consistency it makes sense, that the user normally
only has two choices of formats. Something not taking much space, and
somethink not hiding much information (the usual tradeoff).

Now the app developer decides which of these two formats he wants
where. This make only sense in parts where the UI is kind of read only. On
the other hand you are using the date for another purpose, namely to
construct some text out of it, which is to be send to _other_ people. So
normaly it's not really the same, the configuration for the date format on
this computer, and the config for dates for other computers.

So I guess, the best would be a local configuration in kmail, defaulting
to "DateFormatShort" as it's not the badest default, especially if the
user already has configured it to his liking, and additionally making the
tweaking of this format possible.

> <new>
> The following placeholders are supported in the reply phrases:
> %d=day %D=date, %S=subject, %F=sender, %%=percent sign, %_=space
>
> Reply to sender: On %d, %D, %F wrote:
> Reply to all:  On %d, %D, %F wrote:
> </new>

If %D is the localized KDE-DateFormatShort. Or alternatively use %k for
this purpose and make %D=<year-month-day>  (ISO standard)

Ciao,
Michael.