List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: GIF write support
From:       Dawit A <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-04-05 23:59:17

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000, mosfet wrote:
> Okay, well how serious is this threat and how much of it is reactionary?

From what I have read they are pretty serious.  They even have a FAQ page set
up to address these types of questions [forgot the address].

> Literally Hundreds of applications include GIF support with no
> interaction with UniSys. Has any been forced to remove them?

We will probably get it even if others have not as KDE is probably much larger
and thus has many more users than most of these projects you mentioned.  You
also need to worry about the distro's who might be held responsible for distributing,
right ?  So IMHO I think the best option, as already mentioned earlier, is to
have a configure time option just like it is in Qt...