List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Resent:
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       2000-04-04 15:51:34

From matz@ifh.de Tue Apr  4 09:38:45 2000

Hi,

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> > PAM is not supported by all systems I have access to. But nevertheless
we
> > have Kerberos and AFS as our authentication method. So yes, PAM is fine
on
> > Linux, Solaris (and IRIX, but I've never tested). But if it would be
the
> > only method in KDM, I would have to keep patching each release of KDE
> > myself ;)
>
> Patching it by hand would indeed be tedious, as would maintaining
somewhat
> obscure code.  I know very little about the available PAM modules, but I
> would find it hard to believe that people have written NetWare and SMB
> authentication modules, but not hacked together some sort of Kerberos
> module.

No no. There _are_ PAM modules for Kerberos authentication. The problem
is, that not all systems have PAM as their authentication and
authorization mechanism.

> > P.S: Note that Kerberos 4 is much used in european high energy physics
> > community, and some of them are using _ooold_ systems (esp. without
PAM).

> Sure.  And I've seen it used by a few decent sized ISPs too.  However,
if
> they're running such old systems, will KDE2 even begin to compile on
them?
> (i.e. do they offer decent template or exception support?).

Hehe. I mean old with respect to features offered by the system (like old
linux distros). Compilers are usually not the problem. You
know... physicists squeezing the last bit of performance out of their new
fortran compiler ;) Some of them even are using C++. Even with
templates. Every time they hear a new compiler appears, they annoy us to
install it. (instead of optimizing their algorithms) :-)

Ciao,
Michael.                                                                              \