List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] faster Makefile.in -> Makefile translation
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-04-03 9:08:47

Hi,

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> suggestion, but what about the perl to C "compiler"?  Couldn't someone drop
> in a binary to replace the perl script and distribute that for people who
> are against installing perl?  (Yes, yes, yes, binaries are a bad idea, but
> still).

If they don't have perl, they don't deserve a fast Makefile.in->Makefile
conversion ;)
Seriously, binaries would be nightmare, we would have to provide them for
every this-and-that platform, statically linked, to compile from
_source_. The nice thing on autoconf and friends is that they use system
tools to do their work. Binary code is no system tool (err, well, one
could argue, but...).
But it's reasonable to see perl as a system tool, so we use this.

> >Meanwhile there has popped up a problem with srcdir==builddir (who is
> >using that? ;) ). The VPATH substitution does not work in this case.
> >Quick fix is in attachment.
>
> Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing support for this dropped either.  Perhaps
> by default configure could create a subdir "obj" to stick all of the object
> files in?  This means that to solve any weird dependency or build problems,
> one could just rm -rf obj, and rerun configure et. al.

I fully agree.

Ciao,
Michael.