List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: State of the ARTs
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-04-02 17:33:56

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

>    Hi!
>
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 03:13:22PM +0200, Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:
> > > I also tried arts, was annoyed by the lack of documentation (on how to
> > > use it in our Kde environment), and the inability of playing wav files.
> >
> > Yes, there should be at least a chapter in KDE2PORTING to
> > explain how to make the old games work with the new
> > architecture... ;)
>
> There is now. KAudio -> KAudioPlayer. For old (or new?) non-KDE-games like
> quake (and other apps like xmms), the solution would be a C Api, which
> experimentally exists, but needs to be finalized.

You mean you are writing it? I was starting it monday night, as soon as my
computer arrives :-)

> About documentation: I've written a chapter in the Macmillan KDE2
> Development book, so something should be on the web in the near future
> (as its an open license).
>
> There is also the kdelibs/arts/doc directory. However I know its a bit
> incomplete, and specifically the part "how do KDE and aRts interact" or
> "how should KDE and aRts interact" or "do we need more special purpose
> wrapping classes like KAudioPlayer" needs work.
>
>    Cu... Stefan
> --
>   -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan@space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany
>      KDE Developer, project infos at http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde *-

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul