List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO progress info signals
From:       Matt Koss <koss () miesto ! sk>
Date:       2000-04-01 19:57:38

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:
>> That's fine, but I simply don't want all the connecting code in the job
>> constructor.
>> Once the signals are connected, it's late to stop observing, isn't it ?
>
>Hmm, indeed...... it would be stupid to connect and then disconnect...
>
>> The solution would be to pass a flag in operation methods ( copy, move ... )
>> but I don't like that at all.
>> Any idea ? Or am I missing something ?
>
>Hmmmm. I had overlooked the API problem.
>I see no other solution than enableProgressInfoGUI() (hmm, that's not
>better than startObserving() ;-))  but that means most apps won't
>get progress info... unless we port them once again.
>If we don't want that, and additionnal flag to all operations
>(with default value being true) would be the way to go.
>I would have preferred to avoid that too, but in fact it makes sense.
>When requesting an operation to KIO, you have to tell it how you want it :
>with default GUI or not.

Yeah, I think it makes sense.
I just don't want to later end up with several flags passed in kio operation
methods.
I know that Stephan will not like it, but I think it's better design to set
various flags through Job class member methods.
But in the end the effect will be the same so lets agree on something now.

>> I've got time, no problem.
>> If it's possible, I would like to leave the observer class on you
>> ( particularly sending stuff to GUI server via dcop ),
>> 'cause I am not very familiar with dcop yet.
>
>Ok.
>Did we decide which app would be the server ?
>A new daemon (huh) ? kdesktop ?
>The initial plan was kioslave, but that's part of kdeinit now.
>So perhaps it would be a new daemon, but forked from kdeinit of course.
>kioprogressinfoguiserver. Gosh. I need to shorten that.
>;-)

I guess that I leave this on you to decide. Or we can do a GUI progress server
name contest :-)

		Regards

				Matt

--