List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO progress info signals
From:       Matt Koss <koss () miesto ! sk>
Date:       2000-04-01 7:40:39

Ok,

I thought a bit more about this and I like your idea.

Little summary, with additions :
----------------------

1. Each job class will contain only those signals that it really uses.
2. KIO::Job will contain a singleton instance of Observer, that will pass
    signals to GUI server.
    It will look almost exactly as ProgressBase class, but it will not be a
    widget, and instead of empty slots, each slot will use DCOP to pass signals.
    Signals will have a job identifier, so that GUI server knows to which
    progress dialog it should pass signals.
3. Each job class will have a startObserving() method, that will connect
   signals contained in that job to observers slots.
   This means that signals will get not connected in constructor and as such
    the top-level job will need not to disable observing in its child jobs.
    Also apps like caitoo and kmail will get the same behaviour as proposed
    earlier ( see DESIGN in kio )
4. KIO operations started from e.g. KIONetAccess ( = regular IO ) will call
startObserving() method right after creating job with e.g. copy(), move()
etc.

What ya think ?

I guess that we'll need to think more about the situation when we want progres
not only from top-level job but also from its subjobs.

		Regards

					Matt

--
Matej Koss	e-mail: koss@miesto.sk