List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Settings/Desktop crowded - Proposal
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-31 8:03:09

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 09:17:04AM +0200, Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Lotzi Boloni wrote:
>
> >   I have to say that I am very impressed by the new kcontrol, especially
> > with the search feature. Since it was introduced it is the only way I am
> > using it. The icon navigation is nice but it is harder to use than the
> > original tree icon (easier to get lost in the hierarchy).
>
> Hi Lotzi,
>
> you surely noticed that you can switch to the tree view by
> using the "View" menu :-)
>
> About the search feature: Since it is there, I also use it
> quite often. But that is not too good: If you have to rely on
> search, the ordering of the entries is definitely not good
> enough.

My thoughts too.

> I like the proposed new scheme for the entries, and I will
> start to change it today.

Great !

> There is another thing I would like to change along with
> it: Currently, all applnk files are in a separeate directory
> in kdebase. The reason was that once the translators wanted to
> have easy access to the .desktop files. But this is ancient
> history, as the .desktop files are now extracted by one of
> coolo's magic scripts, so I would like to move the .desktop
> files to the individual dirs, so that they are easier to
> maintain. Any objections?

None - this is a good idea. People currently get lost very easily
as to how to add a new kcontrol module (sources in one dir, .desktop
file in another).

OTOH, the current scheme makes it easier for changing the structure
(something we do quite often), whereas scattered files make it a
bit harder - but files are scattered anyway (in other modules).

One problem: what about the .directory files that have to be installed
in that hierarchy ? I guess you'll have to do like kdesktop does:
name source files differently, put them all in the same dir, and
install them as .directory at the correct location.

Last but not least: it would be good that kcontrol has its own
copy of the "Settings" hierarchy under share/apps/kcontrol, as we
discussed eariler on, because people tend to change the
K menu's structure - and suddenly kcontrol appears empty.
This could be part of this change - installing each kcontrol desktop
file in two directories.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org