List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: XML and internationalization question
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       2000-03-30 17:48:31

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Emily Ezust wrote:

> David Faure wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 02:07:18AM +0100, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > > #if David Faure
>
> Here's another example defending the need for flexibility:
>
> The icons in ark for non-standard actions like Add File, Add Directory,
> Extract and Delete all use pictures of safes for indicating the action.
> If I use the standard icons for Open and New, the iconography is
> all wrong. So for those KStdActions I use icons with safes rather
> than icons with the folder/paper motif.

I'm not 100% sure if I got the problem, so please ignore this mail if I'm
totally off the wall.

If you want to change properties of KStdActions (or any other actions in
your app), then why don't you use either the Qt property system or the
property method of the action directly, instead of using the
ActionProperties element in the xml document?

While the ActionProperties stuff works for properties like icon it is not
suitable for text which is mean to be translated ed (as these attributes
cannot be translated in the xml document (unlike the <text> elements
for container captions/names, as they go through an i18n() call) ) .

KAction *bar = KStdAction::foo( ... );
// ok, I want a different icon and a different description
bar->setIcon( "blah" );
bar->setText( i18n( "ThisDescriptionFitsBetter" ) );

Or am I missing something?

Ciao,
 Simon