List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDELIBS freeze now April 3
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       2000-03-29 21:24:40

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> I have a progress chart on the libraries up at:
>
> http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kdelibs-status.html

Thanks for the work.

> I put the things that need doing in the Notes section of each library.
> Those need to be completed before the freeze.

A short status report on the JavaScript library. There are two parts to
distinguish:

1.) the core JS engine in kdelibs/kjs. I'm aiming at ECMAScript Edition
3 compliance. This equals the language level currently supported by
other browsers. The most common features are done but the missing ones
might still be need some ugly work.
I hopefully cleaned up the API in a way that allows implementing the
missing features behind the scenes without breaking compatibility.

2.) the HTML binding module in khtml/ecma. It's dlopen'ed by khtml on
demand and is linked to libkjs. These bindings are partly standardized
(DOM). NS and IE both offer a big variety of additional properties.
Experience shows that the Net is only crowded with a limited subset,
though.
Quite a bit of work left but fortunately very straightforward. The
interface consists of a proxy with C callback functions that will allow
all sorts for modifications without endangering compatibilty
(hopefully).
Currently, the html widget does not optically reflect dynamic changes
issued by the script. The khtml team is working on some intelligent
repainting algorithm. No big deal for me right now since everything
seems fine internally.

Harri.