List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    CVS info that didn't get mailed
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-29 8:50:39

Well no messages from kde-cvs and complaints about connections from
the server, so here's some info on what I just committed.

kdebase/kwin/clients/riscos/

This theme emulates the look and feel of the RISC OS 'window manager'.
Actually, RISC OS doesn't have a window manager in the same way X
does, but if you imagine it does, this is an emulation of that ;)

I've optimised it for speed, so you should find it quite nippy.
Particularly the fact that the left and right borders are single-pixel
gives a large speedup on my Matrox card when dragging windows.

I've requested save-under in the window decorations for that extra
speed kick, plus double-buffered the title bar and resize bar.

Functions that will be implemented but are currently missing:
  Transparent resize.
  Shading.
  Backward-resize.
  NOTE: Backward-resize is an interesting feature and quite useful.
        If you resize a window such that you hit the screen edge
        in the process, the window resizes 'backwards' (i.e.
        moves in the opposite direction to your drag and at the
        same time continues increasing in size). So instead
        of having to let go of the resize handle, move the window
        and resize again, it just does what you want it to do.

Button functions: (Missing functionality is marked with TODO)

Button One:

  Left button: TODO
               Lower window and drop focus. This is currently unimplemented
               in kwin itself.

Button Two:

  Left button: Close window.

  Right button: TODO, if I can be bothered.
                Close window.
                If window is filer window, open another filer window
                in parent dir.
                If window is document window, open a filer window in
                dir containing document.
                If you hold Shift, the window doesn't close.
                NOTE:
                This requires app support.
                If I were to implement this, I would do it in konqy
                and probably not bother for other apps.

Button Three:

  Left button: Iconify window.

Button Four:

  Left button: Maximise or restore window plus raise and focus.

  Middle button: Maximise vertically or restore window plus raise and focus.

  Right button: Maximise or restore window.

The lower bar is used for resizing. It works in the NeXT style.
This doesn't exist on RISC OS. In RISC OS, there is a 'resize handle'
in the lower right corner of the window (actually inside the window).

To emulate this would mean covering part of the window with the decorations,
which is not acceptable. RISC OS gets away with it by making sure that
there is a vertical scrollbar visible at all times, which is just stupid.

Rik