List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs/mimetypes/application probs
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-28 21:39:32

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 04:30:48PM -0500, Emily Ezust wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > *.bz is matched to be a bzip file (x-bzip), even though there
> > is *.tar.bz in the filters for x-tbz.
> > ksycoca does a "first found" matching, not a "longest match".
> > I guess this example shows it should rather do the latter ;-))
>
> So maybe we should get rid of tbz and have just x-bzip with .tbz as
> one of the possible extensions (that's the way gzip is set up).

Well, that's a minimalistic approach. We can do better ;-)

People don't want ark to start for .txt.gz files, but they rather
want that konqueror shows the text of that file embedded (it used
to do that when KIO filters worked, very handy)

I fixed ksycoca - it now returns the right type.

Looks like x-tgz is missing then ?

> I'll fix it once I can get things working here. Luckily, ark can
> now deal with simple compressed files.

Cool, but requires a lot more clicks to see the contents a .txt.gz file
(konqueror->ark->click on file).

> > > Also, I'd like to add a few mimetypes to match up with extensions
> > > *.rar, *.zoo, *.tar.lzo;*.tzo, and *.lzo. I tried adding a file
> > > called x-rar.desktop modelled on x-zip.desktop, added it to the
> > > list in Makefile.am, did a make;make install, but although the
> > > file was installed in $KDEDIR/share/mimelnk/application, konqy
> > > didn't seem to be any the wiser about RAR files. I even tried
> > > restarting X entirely... nope.
> > > Am I missing a step?
> > Adding x-rar into ark.desktop's MimeType line ?
>
> (quick check, ready to be embarrassed)... Nope! Every
> case-insensitive "zip" became "rar" in my file. So I take it
> this should have worked?
>
> Hmm... it doesn't even appear in the list in
>  kcontrol->System->File Associations!

Is kded running ?

http://home.clara.net/faure/
See http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.txt for how to set up KDE 2