List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kdesktop
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-27 19:02:16

Geert Jansen wrote:
> > But is that really all that often?  I would much rather have my
> > settings saved as soon as I did them then wait until it shuts down...
> >
> > *UNLESS* KApplication::shutDown() is emitted when I do a CTRL+ALT+BS..
> > then I don't mind.  I've just gotten quite used to logging out in
> > that fashion lately...
>
> You got used to that because of the lack of the SM server. You can get
> get unused to it now :-) CTRL+ALT+BS will screw up everything, for all apps.
> Do you want kword to save your doc after every keystroke?

Boy, I don't know where to start with this!

First, the attitude to "get unused to it" is WRONG.  CTRL+ALT+BS is
the standard way for many old Unix users to get out of their X
session.  I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that just
put all of their "startup" apps in Autostart and never touched the
logout button as it took *much* too long to logout.  Way back when, I
put an option into kbiff to ignore session management as I got *so*
many requests for it.

The fact is that many people just don't care about session management
so to them, logout is a waste of time.  KDesktop's state has *nothing*
to do with session management and, in fact, kdesktop doesn't even
*use* session management at all.  So why would we tie saving it's
"document" with logging out?

When I move an icon around on the desktop, I would expect that it is
saved immediately.. not at some random time later.

Secondly, how will using CTRL+ALT+BS "screw up everything"?  When I
quit X, all of my apps are either in a quittable state (all the info
saved) or don't save any info.  The *only* thing that SM does for me
is to restore which apps were running and where.  That's it.

Finally, comparing this to kword saving after every keystroke is just
ludicrous.  There is nothing at all in common between the two.  In
kword, keystrokes are *very* common -- often coming several times a
second.  Saving after each one would be a colossal waste of time as
well as much too resource hungry.  Moving around icons on the desktop
is *EXTREMELY* rare.  It's likely that some people will never do it as
the auto arrange will suit them just fine.  Those people that do move
icons regularly might do it once a day?  A week?  Certainly not enough
to make *any* difference at all in any performance measurement.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix