List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: general design problem?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-27 11:12:45

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 11:36:04AM +0200, Matthias Elter wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > Can't an app override the setting for a particular group
> > in its own config file ? I guess so.
> > This would enable an app to have its own settings if it wants to,
> > even using the standard group.
> >
> > Even kicker could do that (no more 'Kicker' group), and kcontrol
> > could do that too. The downside is that this means adding
> > a means to configure the app's specific size - but that's the point here
> > isn't it ?
> >
> > -> Standard groups remain, but app-specific config is possible.
>
> That means reducing the default groups to:
>
> 1. Normal Desktop-Icon
> 3. Small Icon
> 4. Toolbar-Icon
> 5. Main-Toolbar-Icon
>
> Normal Desktop Icons : We already had a global size option for these.
> Small Icons : Always have been small and in the group concept will
> remain so.
> Toolbar-Icons : We already had a global size option for these.
> Main-Toolbar-Icon : It's easy to add another global size option for
> these.

What's the point in those comments ? Yes we had something similar,
but now it's all integrated into one unified concept.
Nobody said that it would be a revolution !
You should be happy that it matches what we had already...

> So what does the group concept give me as app developer now?
A clean and unified API.

> I have to override global settings in kcmmyapp. Great! What gives?
No, you don't have to.
You have to only if your app does something specific with icon sizes.
Apps that just have toolbars and menus don't have to change anything.

> P.S.: I'm not against the new icon loader in general. But the group
> concept has to be rethought!
You're trying to put too much into it.
Groups just reflect the global configuration available.
Application-specific configuration will remain application specific,
how could it be otherwise ?

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org