List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesky - icon positions - session management
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-03-27 9:58:24

Am Son, 26 Mär 2000 schrieb Simon Hausmann:
> Hi,
>
> I've been hacking up some code to make kdesktop save and restore the
> positions of the icons on the desktop.
>
> But now I have a problem :)
>
> I can't figure out how to get my saveThoseIcons() method called when we're
> going down (logout) .

KApplication::shutDown() should work.

> It seems to me that kdesky cannot/does not connect to ksmserver, as it is
> started via startkde (before) ?

Yes, and that's right (IMO). The desktop isn't really part of the session, it's
state shouldn't be session specific (I mean it display the ~/Desktop folder,
which is user-specific).

> Or should we save the icon position after each dnd operation?

That's also possible (and not much overhead).

> I'm clueless :-)

Why not simply save everything on  KApplication::shutDown() ?

Matthias