List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    fast, dirty, but hopefully useful (clueless user report :-)
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-23 18:24:30

Hi

First and foremost, my deeply respectful congrats to all the heavy working
people who changed the face of kcontrol and the status of konqueror so
much so fast. It's absolutely amazing.

Now, the fast and dirty part (once again under the reserve that I will
try to look in at least a few of them soon):

Kcontrol:
- could use some sort of double buffering or other (delayed refresh)
tricks in order to eliminate the heavy flickering at module change

- trying to access modules that aren't there or aren't functional crashes
kcontrol altogether. I know this is not insurmontable, since it didn't do
it, for same modules, a bit of time ago (before the big rewrite).
Examples (in the same time, modules to check) : Desktop/borders; Windows/*
(how comes, I have done these work a few weeks ago!!!); Sound/Bell;
Laptop/Battery warning;

- the layout on the about page is a bit too spaced. Konqui has too much
white around him (above and below). Putting the brief sys info in a box
could help. A brief info about uptime and memory usage would be nice too
(but not portable, I believe).

- the layout on the Network/SMB page is too widespread.

Konqueror (all these are 100% reproductible):

- when a viewer part is loaded (e.g. kview), Up button remains active.
Clicking on it (almost an automated reflex) crashes konqui.

- aktion loads toolbar and seems to function, but no image is displayed
(possibly some changes in the part display API in konqueror)

- if I split to 2 views, link the (e.g.) left one (master) to the right
one, then unlink them, last mouse click pass the focus to the former
master, but doesn't refresh the green led in the status bar. Have to pass
focus to former slave view and back again to former master to have the led
functional again

- in dirtree mode, tree view has |+| and |-| signs even on directories
that don't have subdirectories. Clicking toggles +/- but doesn't do
nothing AAMOF.

- in dirtree mode, a linked view indicator appears. If we unlink them
manually (permission granted but shouldn't) then change focus to previous
tree view (left) then try to toggle off the menuitem in the View menu (the
one that says "Directory Tree view" crashes konqueror

- kimap files are mimetyped as executable .desktop files.

- if the first click in a tree view is on a |+|/|-| branching sign, a drag
operation is erroneously started (possibly a Qt bug)

- if, once in a dirtree mode, the slave view is passed in tree view,
konqui crashes (not so reproductible)

- dirtree activation deactivation seem to not go to the history. Or at
least there's a problem when the slave view is a tree view.

- adding items (bookmarks or not) to the bookmark toolbar (thanks a lot
Kurt for the excellent toolbar editor) does nothing.

Ark
- crashes on file loading
- should be made a part too.

Icons
- astounding. My congrats to the people in the artist team.

Thanks a lot for your attention

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE contact - Canada :  tibirna@kde.org       : www.kde.org