List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KWin repaint wackyness
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       2000-03-21 13:32:13

> Ah - what about all the other kwin/qt bugs ?
>
> * Windows jumping around when being resized

I haven't seen that anymore lately. Is there a special application where the
bug happens quite frequently?

> * QApplication::desktop() changing size over time - try Alt+F2, does it
> appear centered ? Now go to an empty dekstop, maximize a konsole, Alt+F2
> is centered again...

I'll investigate on this one later today.

> * Sometimes a window moves with you when you activate a new desktop - often
> XEmacs (less important).

I've seen that one, yes. Something's wrong with kwin's configureEvent handling.
Can easily be fixed without touching Qt, so it's not too critical right now.

> I don't know whether to blame KWin or Qt for those, so I can't
> report them to qt-bugs.
> Any ideas on those ?

I'm currently working on ksmserver (speaks the XSM protocol pretty well now,
today I will actually add saving/restoring of home session).  Authorization
still doesn't work probably, I will probably leave that for somebody else to
add (Preston?). I hope do be able to do the commit later today.

Once ksm is done, it's time to add XSM client support to kwin (not too much
work, but needs to be done). When I'm finished with this, it's time to add some
magic to kwin to allow konqueror to embed external java applets reliable
without flickering.

Then I will have time to finally iron out remaining kwin bugs, implementing the
_NET_WM_PROTOCOL and hopefully add missing features (like electric borders).

Sometimes one wishes to be able to do a fork(), no?

Matthias