List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: hrmpf! essential libs/apps screwed
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-03-16 9:25:27

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, David Faure wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 11:39:23AM +0100, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > Let me add another rant ;-)
> >
> > Has someone tried starting a kde app _without_ running the full KDE
> > desktop? I tried with konqueror and got the following results:
> >
> > First try: konqueror starts up, but complains about missing mimetypes, and
> > does basically nothing.
> >
> > Then I ran kbuildsycoca by hand, to get around the missing
> > mimetypes. Which user would guess about this command???
> >
> > Next try starting konqueror again: konqueror crashes with the following
> > error:
> > DCOPClient: got a DCOPReplyFailed opcode.
> > konqueror: Can't launch kioslave: 'KLauncher could not be reached via
> > DCOP.
> > '
> > konqueror: couldn't create slave 353 <null>
> > Aborted
>
> It has been said more than once that kdeinit should be launched automatically
> if it's not running when we need it - much like kioslave used to be
> run automatically. I think Waldo will do that as part of his plans
> for kdeinit ?

ok.

> > Not very user friendly. After running kdeinit (who would guess the missing
> > KLauncher is kdeinit?), I was finally able to run konqueror.
>
> Yes. The ONE command that people need to run before the first KDE-2 app
> is simply : kdeinit +kded
>
> > Ok, so I browsed a bit using konqueror, and then at some point quit the
> > app, and guess what's left over (quoting the relevant part from ps):
> >
> > 19511  p7 S    0:00 kdeinit: klauncher
> > 19512  p7 S    0:00 kdeinit: Running...
> > 19515  p7 S    0:00 kdeinit: kcookiejar
> > 19517  p7 S    0:00 kioslave
> > 19518  p7 S    0:00 kioslave
> >
> > So konqueror started these 5 processes, and didn't clean them up after
> > him, when I exited it. Ok, it couldn't possibly clean up kdeinit, but the
> > kioslaves and the cookiejar should get cleaned up automatically.
>
> This is old - kioslave doesn't exist anymore.
> And the new slaves time-out and exit after a while...

Could be. I saw the startup problems while working on a kde-1 machine, and
trying to start some kde-2 app there for the first time. I rechecked that
later on at my machine at work (which has an older snapshot...).

> kcookiejar has to be left running, in case any other instance of konqueror
> needs it (at the same time or later on) - or do we want to make it
> exit if no konqy needs it, i.e. implement a reference counter on it ?
> I'm no cookie expert... (need Waldo again)

One should just save the cookies to a file, and reload them if kcookiejar
gets restarted. It should probably just timeout as te slaves do.

> The current sequence would be:
> kdeinit +kded
> konqueror
> killall kdeinit
>
> which makes sense.
> OTOH, if konqueror autostarts kdeinit, no way it should close it automatically
> (what if other apps are running). Oh, unless we put a ref count in kdeinit
> too (using DCOPServer's app registration mechanism...).
> Some apps that don't register to dcop, but those can't use kdeinit (klauncher)
> anyway...

I think refcounting in kdeinit is the way to go. There shouldn't be any
idle apps hanging around after you close down the last kde app. Perhpas
one can combine that with a timeout, so that kdeinit exits, if no kde app
is running and it's not been used for a while.

> To be rediscussed with Waldo IMHO.

Yep. Waldo?

Cheers,
Lars