List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: default toolbar icon size
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-15 18:36:19

Wilco Greven wrote:
> But how are they shown? Like kwrite does now, with a really tiny border
> around them. Or like kedit, with some more whitespace? IMO the surrounding
> space in the kwrite toolbar is a bit to small. For the rest I can only
> agree that the small icons look really good.

Toolbar sizes are application independent.  Okay, here's how the
toolbars work:

Each button is given the name of an icon, it's size, and what the text
position is.  If the button has no text, then it calculates it's own
size like so:

button_height = pixmap_height() + 6
button_width  = pixmap_height() + 6

This gives us a spacing of 3 pixels around the pixmap.  Note that this
size is determined by the size of the icon.. NOT the app or the
current theme!  So a 16x16 icon will be in a 22x22 button; a 22x22
icon will be in a 28x28 button.. etc

HOWEVER, if the toolbar is a "mainToolBar" (or has the 'honor' flag
set), then the size of all of the buttons will be the size of the
largest button.  So if kedit has one button with a larger icon, then
all of the buttons will be that size.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix