List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KUniqueAplication
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-03-14 19:00:39

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, David Faure wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 01:36:31PM +0100, Sven Radej wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think that before lib freeze KApplication and KUniqueApplication should be
>> merged. Kapplication should behave like normal by default (later we can flame
>> if perhaps the KUniqueApplication behavior should be default :-).
>>
>> Opinions?
>
>I don't see why you would want to do that.
>
>They are quite different, why merge them ?
Hmm, according to documentation, they are not that different.
KUniqueApplication enables you to see if the same  application already runs, so
you can contact that first app and tell it to just open another window. I might
be wrong, but many applications are candidates for that. Kedit, kwrite, KMail...

So, it would be natural for me that KApplication works like this:

- check if app already runs && single instance is allowed
- if yes pass command line options to it and exit.
- if not start as normal KApplication.

That is what KUniqueApplication does now. It would be normal (IMHO) for
KApplication does that IF developer wants it. Or even, that should be default
behavior UNLESS developer has strong reasons against it.
I think is that the name  KUniqueApplication is a bit... a bit... missleading;

 --
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org