List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: optimizing... sort of
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-12 13:50:25

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
>
> > Is there any special reason why kcmshell isn't used instead of kcontrol to
> > start separate config modules from the .desktop files in
> > $KDEDIR/share/applnk/Settings/*/* ?
>
> Well, the reason is that I preffered it this way. This way it
> is easier to access additional modeles. If you think that
> reasaning is wrong, we can change it.

Well, let's eliminate unneeded redundancy. If user wants easier access to
additional module, (s)he knows (s)he can always start the whole KControl
from the top level of the ^K menu. But if the user bothers to go in the
"Preferences" menu and select a given item, that means it's this what he
wants.

Plus, on slow machines (I have a Sparc5 at work, with 32Mb RAM), starting
kcontrol is significantly longer than starting kcmshell.

The issue remains for kdesktop anyway. Currently it starts whole kcontrol
only in order to use Desktop/Background. It's true that user might expect
the brain-dead behavior of windows and might want to get screensaver or
color scheme configurability. But there is no natural relationship.

> > And there is also an issue about visiting order of loaded modules in
> > kcontrol. If I load, say, 3 modules: kdm,panel,konqueror, then select
> > 'panel', cancel it, then cancel 'kdm' (who just became visible), I find
> > myself with kcontrol's "about" display, while 'konqueror' is still loaded,
> > but hidden (where?). If I then select konqueror on purpose, it becomes
> > visible. A stack order/clearance problem, it seems. I'll try to see if I
> > am able to fix it.
>
> I will change this. There should be only one active module at
> a given time. Expect quite some changes to kcontrol from me
> and Matthias Elter in the next week :-)

Thanks a lot. And if you still have M.E. around, please notice him that he
just inactivated the compilation of kcmkwm from which half of the modules
are valid. I'll wait his reaction a bit and then I'll have to reactivate
it.

> Bye,
> Matthias.
>
> ... who found once again that two develpers in a room with a
> whiteboard can speed up developing good ideas quite a lot ...

I long for this :-( Perhaps I would have been way further from here today
- in respect with my real world work - if...

Cristian