List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    A Proposal (Was: Re: kview, KFD: net transparency and other issues)
From:       David Sweet <dsweet () chaos ! umd ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-09 19:30:20

> On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 07:48:40AM -0500, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
>

> > > Well, it works for me. Carsten added some hacks to get multiple
> > > selection, but
> > > is working on it. Currently there is no way to change the URL except
> > > browsing
> > > as everything typed into the location field is accepted as file name ;(
>
> yeah, this really sucks ;( I'm afraid we either have to separate the
> directory from the files (like the windows dialog and QFD do), or use your
> proposed approach protocol:/some/path/{file1,file2} to show multiple
> files.

It would be nice to have a getFileURLs () (i.e., plural)  that worked something
like this:
	A listbox could be placed below the line editor (where you enter
URLs) that could hold all of the files you select via. the directory/file
browser and the URL line editor.
	If the directory tree is separated from the file list then the
directory tree could also hold remote hosts in "folders" (as well as
a Bookmarks folder and a History folder [to hold previously chosen files]) that
are at the same level as "/", the root of the file system.
	Then:
	  (i) Select a file/URL with a single click, or
	  (ii) Select multiple files/URLs in a single view with Shift- and Ctrl-
style clicking
	  Click "Add" (or a "+" sign?), or Ctrl+Key_A (or Ctrl+Enter -- I like
that, but some may not) to add it/them to the listbox
 	  Browse to another folder and add some more files/URLs to the
listbox...

	Click OK when finished.

(Also:  Typing, eg., ftp://somewhere.edu/pub/stuff/ should add
ftp://somewhere.edu to the folder list and open the directory pub/stuff in the
file view.  Maybe these URLs could be saved to reappear next time, across apps
and a context menu could let the user remove them.)

(BTW  - I would *love* to be able to do this when adding attachments to KMail!)

How does this sound?

Dave