List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kview, KFD: net transparency and other issues
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-09 5:54:48

Hi

Small story: I decide to look at a jpg screenshot from the net.

Long consequece: For the above I do and then get the following:

1) decide I want to see the screenshot
 a) select the URL in lynx
 b) type Alt-F2 then middle click (in minicli) then hit Enter
 c) mimetype mechanism says "Error: Unknown command: `stat`" then attempts
	to start Gimp (yuck! huge, and starts in 15 minutes in my PII-400)
 d) I annulate

2) I want to change the mimetype binding
 a) fire up ^K/Preferences/Syste/File Associations
 b) the config module appears in its own window. NOTE: not all modules
    do this when called from the Preferences menu. Some of them start
    kcontrol alltogether. We must decide an unique way to go.
 c) go into "image" node, reperate "jpeg" (there are 2 items with the same
    name, probably because of my repeated installs without cleanup)
 d) click on jpeg. The module crashes.
 e) redo all from a to d and same happens for all available mimetype
    items.
 f) do a debug. gdb's 'bt' output looks very similar to Don Sanders' kmail
    reports (look earlier in the day's archive of mailing list).
    Conclusion: I start to strongly believe 'QString' in latest Qt we use
    has some undefined issues.

3) decide I still want to see the screenshot
 a) fire up kview from the ^K menu.
 b) middle-click on the kview window. Nothing happens. WARN lights go on
  in my head: "feature needed alert" :-)
 c) select File/Open... menu, get the KFD
   i) KFD has only vertical scroll bar. Browsing to /tmp (where I have a
      lot of files) I have to enlarge the dialog from the borders in order
      to get more files accessible.
  ii) middle-click that damn URL (selected 10 minutes ago) in the "Open"
      combo-box, hit Enter and nothing happens. No file open, no warn
      KMessageBox displayed

4) decide I still want to see that screenshot despite all
 a) hit Alt-F2, type 'kview ' then middle-click to paste the damn URL, hit
    Enter
 b) kview starts, waits (without any sign - like a progress bar) and then
    finaly displays that screenshot

Conclusions

1) kview, as many other kde apps are truly network transparent. But the
accessibility to this feature is only half implemented in most of the apps

2) KFD misses network transparency (or I'm too stupid to discover it) and
has bugs concerning display of too many elements.

Thanks for your attention

Cristian Tibirna