List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: single click/double click abstraction
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-03-07 17:16:06

[...]

I very much agree with you and with your proposed change !

> So I propose the following:
>
> 1. the clicked(), doubleClicked() signals in Q*View should provide the
> state of the keyboard modifiers (Reggie?) This is actually independent
> from the following.

Look into konqoperations.cc for a way to get the keyboard modifiers
(the XQueryPointer block)
I don't think you have to make a special change to [QK]*View (gosh,
talking with wildcards gets awful) for that.
Just get the modifiers, either in the app or in K*View if you
need them there. (just my 2 cents).

> 2. I would implement the signals selected() and executed() in K*View
> with following binding:
>
> SC mode:
> (assume autoSelected() a signal that gets emitted when you
> stay over an
> item a certain time)
> signal autoSelected() -> signal selected() //select one item
> signal autoSelected() + Ctrl/Shift -> signal selected() //extend
> selection
> signal clicked() -> signal executed()
> signal clicked() + Ctrl/Shift -> signal selected() //extend
> selection(*)
>
> DC mode:
> signal clicked() -> signal selected() //select one item
> signal clicked() + Ctrl/Shift -> signal selected() //extend selection
> signal doubleClicked() -> signal executed()
> signal doubleClicked() + Ctrl/Shift -> ?
executed(), I'd say

> The crucial point is (*) and the default usage of the auto
> selection(if
> enabled). The problem is now that it´s not possible anymore to combine
> Ctrl/Shift with the execute action in single click mode.
> Though I´m not sure wether this is really a disadvantage.

Me neither. Ctrl+click or Shift+click should IMHO (and apparently IYHO :-)
extend the selection, and NOT emit the selected() signal.

Glad you are sorting this thing out !

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer