List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kwin auto-placement
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-07 8:40:55

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, David Faure wrote:

> It looks like kwin auto-placement has been downgraded (not by today's kwin
> changes but before that, like 1 week ago) - it used to work really
> great, but now starting 4 konsoles in a row, on an empty desktop, will
> end up with the 4 windows on top of each other.

I tried to test what you report, and seem to get bizare results, indeed.
But in my case it's never going to 4 piled windows. It *always* piles 2,
no matter how crowded or free the screen is.

I try to keep in very close touch with kwin's source and I don't remember
somebody modifying any relevant code.

From my observations (sorry, no *serious* test) I tend to believe it's a
"off by one" error in QT's Q*List classes (which kwin uses to store
clients info).

While kwin didn't change almost at all in the last 4 weeks, qt changed
frequently. The errors appeared inbetween.

Other errors I observed (that might be related to Qt):

- kicker doesn't refresh the content of the taskbar applet after a desktop
switch. Only the window with focus gets displayed in the taskbar. It needs
an action that forces refresh (like changing the caption of one of the
windows) in order to redisplay all elements.

- same refresh problem exists with the docking applet. The last item added
to the applet is correctly drawn only on a forced refresh (like after
a mouse over event).

OK. There are more, but I didn't sleep since saturday and I don't feel ok
to just whine when I could fix.

Bye

Cristian