List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    aRts network transparency: please test
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-03-04 15:34:18

   Hi!

If you have too many computers with KDE2.0 around, you can test network
transparency for aRts (should work between different architectures, too).
You need the latest cvs snapshot - updated after this mail.

First of all, make sure that network transparency is enabled in the new
"KControl/Sound/Soundserver" module on the machine artsd is running on.
When you start artsd manually, you can achieve the same using artsd -n.

Also make sure that obtaining initial references over X11 is enabled.
For the client machines, you should check manually that .mcoprc in your
home contains the line

GlobalComm=X11GlobalComm

Then you should be able to try things like this on the client:

  artsplay /path/to/filename/on/server.wav
  artscontrol
  kaiman --skin car-preset
    (at least for me the other skin seems currently broken)
  mpg123 -s anmp3.mp3 | artscat
    (or similar)

The server code assumes that a world wide valid URL for your server is
tcp:<gethostname()>.<getdomainname()>:port.

I hope that this method of defining the URL works for everybody. I am open
to any suggestions how to improve the process to find the server from the
stringified mcop object reference.

   Cu... Stefan