List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: conceptual changes to toolbars
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-03-02 17:08:05

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 02:10:00PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:

Hi,

> The core conceptual change is that toolbar buttons now have a LOT more
> control over their own size.  This makes sense.  The buttons know how
> big their pixmaps are and how big their text is.. it's silly to have
> the toolbar (which knows *neither* size) to dictate the proper size.

yes, sounds good!

> The second conceptual change came after studying other toolbars
> (netscape, windows, macos) and I noticed two things: all buttons are
> the same size and most buttons are square (equal width and height).
> Those that aren't square have a wider width then height.  So now our
> toolbar does that also.  HOWEVER, I'm sure that that isn't the
> greatest idea for all toolbars, so right now, it only applies to the
> "main" toolbar (those that use honor_mode)

Hmhmhmmm, I'm afraid, this has to become configurable... I for one use
konqi with big buttons (text + icon), but in the current version, all
buttons are so big, that two complete rows are used just for the toolbar.
And that's two _big_ rows, because of one long text:

.--------------------------.
|           Icon           |
| Persönliches Verzeichnis | _all_ buttons are that big now.
|__________________________|

[lots of other changes/fixes]
> And probably a bit more that I've forgotten.

Did you have a look at why I asked you (did you get that mail (on kde-cvs)
at all?)?
The current KFD uses KToolBar::insertWidget(SomeCustomComboBox) and the
combobox is not vertically centered in the toolbar as the buttons are, but
it is top-aligned and overlaps a bit with the right-most buttons.

Thanks,
Carsten Pfeiffer
--
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1632/