List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: another arts problem
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-03-02 10:25:25

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Nicolas HADACEK wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > > It was neither STL nor the MCOP inheritance structure to blame. Rather,
> > > declaring large amounts of data in conjunction with virtual inheritance
> > > seems to be the problem. Things like
> > >
> > > class Foo: virtual public Bar {
> > > public:
> > >         float x[100000];
> > > };
> > >
> > > will fail, while declaring this as float *x, and using new will work.
> > >

> just a question to be sure of my knowledge :)
>
> float x[1000] uses the stack

That would explain some of the things that have driven me nut lately.
You see, if you use GNU pth, you specify the stack size for threads when
you spawn them...

> new float[1000] uses the heap
>
> what do virtual tables use ?
>
> Nicolas

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul